You have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you – this is known as a Subject Access Request.

How to make a Subject Access request

In order for us to process a Subject Access Request we need this to be made in writing, and we ask that your written request is accompanied by proof of your identity and address. We have a Subject Access Request form you can use for this purpose, to make it easier to include all the details we might need to locate the information you want.

If someone is requesting information on your behalf, they will need written confirmation from you to evidence your consent for us to release this and proof of ID (both yours and theirs).

If you are seeking to obtain specific information (for example, about a particular matter or from a particular time period), it helps if you clarify the details of what you would like to receive in your written request.

Once your request has been received, along with your proof of identity and address, we will provide your information within one month. If it is likely to exceed this time limit due to the complexity of and number of requests, the response time may be extended by a further two months.

We do not usually charge a fee for dealing with a Subject Access Request.

In response to Subject Access Requests we will provide you with a copy of the information we hold that relates to you. This will not generally include information about your property such as repair logs, details of contractor visits, or general property maintenance information, as this is unlikely to constitute your ‘personal information’.

A request for such information should be sent to the Complaints and Information Team, Your Choice (Barnet), 3rd Floor, 2 Bristol Avenue, London, NW9 4EW, or emailed to


Note: these links redirect to the Barnet Homes website. The forms are identical.